Monday, February 18, 2008

a night away

For Christmas, my parents gave us a gift certificate for Hallmark Inns, so...we cashed it in last night & spent out first night away from Finn. Memaw & Papa watched Finn for us - such a nice gift!


We arrived about an hour before sunset & had enough time to explore the beach before dark.


The weather was perfect! A slight breeze but totally clear, sunny & a little bit warm. :) Not typical Oregon Coast weather, especially in February!


Watching the sunset from our room


We ate dinner at Georgie's, their on-site restaurant


View from our room at night. I think that light in the distance is from a boat. When I showed the picture to Kenton he asked, "How'd you get the sun in that picture?!" Silly Kenton. :P It was 9pm!


Our view in the morning. High tide.


We ate breakfast at Georgie's too. They have a system that sprays water on the window to wash away the sea spray. I thought it looked really pretty.

After breakfast, we went to the Oregon Coast Aquarium:

We were greeted by a very friendly seeming Sting-Ray...or Manta Ray? I didn't pay enough attention. :\


Tide pools


Rock Fish


Amazing colors!


Scary, big crabs


Passages of the Deep


This reminded Kenton of a video game he played recently (Bioshock)...creepy!


In front of the otters, who were too sleepy to play. But we did see some speedy seals & sea lions!

After the aquarium, we went to the outlet mall in Lincoln City so that I could spend way too much money! (Sheesh!) I guess we were on vacation, right?


This is what we found when getting Finn ready for bed tonight. :) We don't know who did it (a superman tattoo, in case it's too hard to see), but I suspect it was Memaw...

Finn did great for my parents. He went to sleep well & slept for 12 hours last night! Then he had a 3 hour nap today. I guess that sort of makes up for how crazy, busy this boy is. But I will admit, he spoils us with how well he sleeps. And I am so thankful that he slept well at Memaw & Papa's house. What a good boy!

We sure missed him & were excited to give him his souvenir - a tiny stuffed manatee (of course!) that straps to his wrist, from the aquarium gift shop. :) He seemed amused.

As we were driving home tonight, I received some very exciting news from my college roommate, Lauren. She & her boyfriend of 6 years, Tom (He & Kenton went to high school together in Alaska), got engaged on Valentine's Day in Maui! So exciting! Congratulations, Tom & Lauren! We're so happy for you both!


4 comments:

Jesse and Carolyn said...

That looks and sounds lovely! I like Finn's tat! I'm so happy for Lauren and Tom! Do they have a date yet?
-Carolyn

Gretchen Ruddick said...

Wow, I love the pictures you took at the aquarium! The colors are so cool and I like the smiling sting ray (: It sounds like you guys had a great time and the resort was really nice (: I can't wait to go!

Jax said...

it looks like you guys had a great trip! im so glad that the weather held so you could enjoy your weekend. its awesome that you got to go to the oregon coast aquarium; ive been trying to convince stu to go there with me but we just havent made it.

your camera is so good! it takes really great pictures! i cant believe you got a big daddy on camera ;-) !! he wasnt harvesting any little sisters while he was at the aquarium was he?

Anonymous said...

Those Japanese crabs were really big and scary. I'm surprised you didn't put in something about that family behind us. You know the dad that pushed the stroller with the 2 or 3 year old in it up to the glass and the kid started screaming? That cracked me up.

-kenton